UA Ruhr News Center
27. 07. 2017
Research Profile Ruhr-Universität Bochum
Opened in 1965 as the first university in the Ruhr area, the Ruhr University Bochum (RUB) is now one of Germany’s biggest and most successful research universities.
RUB’s Research School, an international college for structured doctoral research, is one of the university’s Projects of Excellence. Another project is the Cluster of Exellcence RESOLV (Ruhr Explores Solvation) that supports researchers at all stages of their career and offers a new platform for high value, interdisciplinary education and training for the next generation of scientists.
Interfaculty and interdisciplinary research departments raise the profile of RUB. The outstanding support provided by the Early Career Researchers program and an excellent infrastructure round out the picture.
Worldfactory, a student training facility and coworking space, supports students who would like to found their own company. Across subject areas and industries, Worldfactory offers both the infrastructure and the expertise needed to develop sustainable and creative business solutions.
RUB in numbers
- 43,015 students (14% international)
- 3,394 academic staff (incl. professors)
- 2,439 master’s degrees per year
- 550 doctoral degrees per year
- 889 foreign doctoral students and international guest researchers
- €559.9m Budget incl. €111.3m third-party- funding for research projects
Research facilities and partners
- 6 collaborative research centers
- 10 research departments
- Solvation Science
- Cyber Security
- Materials Research
- Protein Research
- Interfacial Systems Chemistry
- Religious studies
- Plasmas with Complex Interactions
- Closed Carbon Cycle Economy
- Subsurface Modeling and Engineering